Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why I get discouraged

It’s no secret: I (try to) write satire to amuse and delight both my readers. But the stark truth that I’m just not good enough came crashing home to me this past week.

The uber-satire comes courtesy of NOW’s NY chapter. I thought they were some kind of women’s-rights group, but it turns out that their acronym stands for Nutless Onion Writers or something. Here’s their money quote:

In short, gang raping of women is commonplace in our culture both physically and metaphorically.
This past week, we witnessed just such a phenomenon involving men who are afraid of a powerful woman. Hillary Clinton, in her quest for her Presidential nomination, has in fact endured infantile taunting and wildly inappropriate commentary… [ed: catalogue of ills removed for sake of length]
Think about the legacy we’ll leave behind when we support Hillary Clinton for President of the United States. Let’s put a stop to the psychological “gang banging” of women and girls. Let’s stand up and be counted by way of the hard-won votes we can now cast!

Sigh. With satirists like that out there, what hope do I ever have of cracking the 30-hits-a-day ceiling? It’s just not possible, I tell you!

No comments: